Jul 16, 2016

How To Survive Camp Nanowrimo

For the past two years I’ve done the July session of Camp Nanowrimo, and this year I’m actually on track to achieving my word count goal. I thought I’d share the three rules I’ve followed that have gotten me this far, and hopefully they can help you too.

1. Make sure that you have everything you need.

There are only two things that you really need for Camp Nanowrimo. The first necessity is, of course, a good writing playlist. I have a few playlists on Spotify filled with music that I enjoy listening to but that I can easily tune out. Instrumental music works really well for this, but I’m guilty of listening to other music, too. You should use whatever works the best for you!

The second thing that you need is time scheduled for working on your project. I know that every night between midnight and five in the morning I’m going to get my writing for the day done. My time frame allows for all of the time I’ll inevitably waste on the internet before I actually start to write, so you might only need an hour or so. Having a solid period of writing time when you won’t be interrupted makes it so much easier to get things done.

2. Don't be afraid of unplanned ideas.

If you try to stick to your notes or your outline religiously, it’ll probably be a lot harder to keep writing. Sometimes stories take unexpected turns as you’re writing them, and that’s okay! Go with it and see where it takes you! If it doesn’t turn out as well as what you’d originally planned for, you can always go back and rewrite it. Chances are, if you’re feeling like your story should go in another direction, that’s how it’ll be best anyways.

3. Give yourself a break!


I can’t tell you how many days I’ve gone without writing a single word. The lack of progress can get a bit daunting, but it’s very possible to make up for it. I’m supposed to be writing about 800 words a day, but a few 1500 word days have helped me to stay on track even after slacking off for a few days. Don’t beat yourself up for not writing, because that just makes going back to your work even more stressful that it already is! Let yourself have bad days, and then congratulate yourself for the days that you get twice as much done.

Following these tips should definitely help you win Camp Nanowrimo. Still, I’m writing this post when I should be working on my project, so maybe I’m not the best person to take advice from!

Are you doing Camp Nanowrimo this month? What are you working on?

No comments:

Post a Comment